CALL 01782 782 520

Emergency or Urgent Dental Services – Frequently asked questions

Q) My tooth broke, shall I just leave it?

A) If you are not in pain, we would recommend you see a dentist to have this repaired. Some patients think they only need to see a dentist when they are in pain, but you can treat the tooth at an early stage before things get worse. The treatment will get more complex the longer you leave it. You can buy an emergency temporary filling from the chemist.

Q) What can I do to alleviate toothache?

A) The most effective over the counter painkillers are paracetamol and ibuprofen. We would recommend you take these for pain relief if you are allowed to take them. Sometimes an icepack or frozen peas can help if your tooth gets relief from cold. We would recommend you see a dentist as soon as possible.

Q) My crown/veneer came out, what should I do?

A) Keep the crown/veneer in a safe place and bring this to the dentist, who may be able to recement this.

Q) I think I might be developing an abcess and my face is swollen.

A) We would recommend you see a dentist as soon as possible. The abcess will probably need to be drained or the tooth removed to alleviate the pain.

Q) I got my tooth knocked out playing football. I still have the tooth, what shall I do?

A) You will need to see a dentist as soon as possible. There is a small timeframe between losing or keeping the tooth so act immediately. If you have the tooth present, store the tooth in milk or the patient’s own saliva. DO NOT attempt to place the tooth back into the socket and do not clean the tooth.

Q) I’ve just had a tooth removed a few days ago. Why am I still in pain?

A) You may have a dry socket. Please ensure you do not smoke and ensure you only rinse twice daily with salt water. Your dentist may help by placing a dressing and irrigating the socket.

Q) Do you accept emergencies even though I am not registered at your practice.

A) We accept emergencies from all patients. In fact we have any patients coming from all around including Stoke On Trent, Newcastle Under Lyme, Congleton and Alsager.